Saturday 9 June 2007

Press Coverage, and Dr. Reid wavers

The first article online about my mum's case can now be found on the Camden New Journal website here. You can send your comments into the paper at the bottom of the article, so please do so if you can.

It appears that the Coroner, Dr. Andrew Reid, may be taking his time to come to a verdict, though has indicated that he is heading towards a verdict of 'death by natural causes'.

My family and I believe this would be a miscarriage of justice.


With thanks to the Islington Tribune

Of course, my family think that my mum's death was preventable, and though Dr. Anna McGuiness from University College Hospital said it was not from an A&E medicine point of view, my family have evidence to suggest that my mum should never have been given the sandwich that choked her in the first place.

Indeed, there may also be further implications for the security guard that was sleeping the night of my mum's death too. However, in a dramatic turn of events last Tuesday, Dr. Reid said he'd been completely unable to find the security guard to give evidence, with the last known information about him being that he'd gone on a 'long holiday' to the Caribbean.

And, although my mum's death may have ultimately been due to choking on a sandwich, the question still remains as to why the hospital did not prevent this, my mum being assaulted, my mum being prescribed powerful anti-psychotics inappropriate for her age, and why staff seriously neglected my mum on a systematic basis.

My family and I now believe that Dr. Reid has wavered in the face of our opposition to his appalling conduct in this case, leaving open the possibility that he could still change his mind before giving his verdict, thereby summoning the jury we require. Fingers crossed but, of course, we will fight on if he doesn't see sense.

Further updates will follow this week.
Steven

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to your mother.

sadly mental health patients with physical ills, are not well served - Mental Health Nurses aren't very good at looking after physical ills, and general hospitals can't cope with the mentally ill.

was the SHO able to defibrilate, cannulate and give cardiac arrest drugs then? because this is what an ambulance crew would have done (if there had been a paramedic in the crew, LAS techs can only defib, as far as i am aware - the defib is automated to take the guessing out of the appropriateness of shocking), and any delay will have an impact