Thursday 7 June 2007

Jeremy Corbyn MP agrees to give evidence

Today I met with Jeremy Corbyn MP to discuss my mum's case. He passed on his sincere condolences to my family and agreed, in an almost unprecedented move, to submit evidence to Dr. Andrew Reid, the Coroner, about my mum's death.

After my mum was physically assaulted in January last year and the attacks continued, my family wrote to Mr. Corbyn to intervene. He wrote to the mental health trust asking for a report and suggesting that things should improve, and he is now prepared to tell Dr. Reid why he thought my mum's care was sub-standard.

My family are also in negotiations with a national charity who are interested in the case and will be helping out. Information will follow about this shortly.

Finally, in the next couple of weeks, my family are planning to organise a public meeting and a candle-lit vigil outside the Highgate Mental Health Centre where my mum died. We are doing this to tell our friends and supporters in person about what happened to my mum, and why we need to keep fighting for justice. Again, details will follow.

I'll sign off by saying that media attention is starting to pick up, with the first article about my mum's case published in the Islington Gazette today. We have a number of other articles coming up soon and we think the national press are soon to start reporting the case.

We will keep trying to get this information out as widely as we can so that we can get things changed, once and for all, so that no family ever has to go through the tragedy that we have.

With peace to you all,
Steven

No comments: